TRAIN UP A CHILD
This month’s bloggers for peace challenge will focus on children. How do we raise children to be peaceful? What do children need to know about peace? How do we teach them what peace means?
I found these “Ten Commandments for Parents”, excellent for creating peace in the family.
“Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR PARENTS
- My hands are small; please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture, or throw a ball. My legs are short; slow down so that I can keep up with you.
- My eyes have not seen the world as yours have; let me explore it safely, don’t restrict me unnecessarily.
- Housework will always be there; I’m little only for a short time. Take time to explain things to me about this wonderful world, and do so willingly.
- My feelings are tender; don’t nag me all day long (you would not want to be nagged for your inquisitiveness). Treat me as you would like to be treated.
- I am a special gift from God, treasure me as God intended you to do – holding me accountable for my actions, giving me guidelines to live by, and disciplining me in a loving manner.
- I need your encouragement (but not your empty praise) to grow. Go easy on the criticism; remember, you can criticize the things I do without criticizing me.
- Give me the freedom to make decisions concerning myself. Permit me to fail, so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then someday I’ll be prepared to make the decisions life will require of me.
- Don’t do things over for me; that makes me feel that my efforts didn’t measure up to your expectations. I know it’s hard, but don’t compare me with my brother or my sister.
- Don’t be afraid to leave for a weekend together. Kids need vacations from parents, and parents need vacations from kids. Besides, it’s a great way to show us kids that your marriage is something special.
- Take me to Sunday school and church regularly, setting a good example for me to follow. I enjoy learning more about God. By Kevin Leman
Matthew 19: 14
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
I have created the above slideshow of the Vacation Bible School I sponsored for my grandchild and the neighborhood children when they were growing up. They are now sixteen and nineteen years old.
The school in its’ early years was held outside in the backyard of my townhouse.
The mission was to teach the young children about the values and principles found in the Bible.
BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!